Visit of the Maison du Roi on the Grand-Place

Monday 28 May
@ Maison du Roi, Museum of the City of Brussels
08:00 PM
Social

The reception will be provided by the deputy burgomaster for Culture, Karine Lalieux and three curators of the Museum of the City of Brussels: Bérengère de Laveleye, Caroline Esgain and Gonzague Pluvinage.


The Museum of the City of Brussels is on the Grand’Place, the capital’s most famous location. A Neo-Gothic masterpiece, the building is called the Maison du Roi in French and the Broodhuis in Dutch. These two different names can be explained by its very history; Broodhuis refers to its original use as a bread market in the 13th century, whereas Maison du Roi refers to the title of its owner, the Duke of Brabant. In the 16th century, this Duke was none other than Charles the Fifth, « King » of the Spanish Empire. In 1936, the Maison du Roi was listed as a national heritage site (one of the first in Belgium) and, along with the Grand’Place, a UNESCO world heritage site in 2000.

 

Today, the museum has over 10,000 items. Paintings such as the Cortège des Noces (The Wedding Cortège) attributed to Jan Brueghel the Elder or the Bombing of 1695 recount anecdotes and the great history of our city. These sit alongside world-famous Brussels tapestries including The Martyrdom of Saint Paul and its exceptional cartoon. A model reflects the city in the 13th century while plans and maps show the city’s urban development. Wooden and stone sculptures from Brussels buildings are located near asparagus- and cabbage-shaped earthenware, not to mention that inescapable symbol of the Brussels people, the original statue of Manneken Pis. His precious wardrobe has recently moved and can now be found at Rue du Chêne, a stone’s throw from the fountain itself.

 

The reception will be provided by the deputy burgomaster for Culture, Karine Lalieux and three curators of the Museum of the City of Brussels: Bérengère de Laveleye, Caroline Esgain and Gonzague Pluvinage.